Print Friendly, PDF & Email
| add this

Reporting Non-U.S. Income and Financial Assets

Posted on 05/29/20

Whether you are living in the U.S. or abroad, if you are a U.S. citizen, permanent resident or an Expat, you are required to file a U.S. income tax return and informational disclosures to report world-wide income and your non-U.S. financial assets. U.S. citizens who have dual citizenship or who are so-called accidental U.S. citizens are also subject to world-wide reporting. If you were a nonresident alien who has become a U.S. resident, you have the same requirements.

While reporting of non-U.S. income and assets is not a new requirement, it is one area in which many taxpayers, especially Expats and new U.S. residents, are uninformed about their U.S. tax filing obligation to remain compliant under the U.S. tax laws. 

What is included in income?

Regardless of where money is earned, income includes items such as wages, investment income from non-U.S. banks and securities, pensions, rental income, and income and distributions from non-U.S. businesses or trusts.

What else has to be reported?

All financial accounts held outside of the U.S. must be reported annually on the Foreign Bank Account Report (FBAR). Certain other foreign financial disclosures may also be necessary. Failure to report income, the FBAR and required foreign disclosures may result in civil and/or criminal penalties.

How will the IRS find out?

As part of the U.S. Foreign Account Tax Compliance Act (FATCA), the U.S. signed Intergovernmental Agreements with over 100 countries to exchange account and financial information on taxpayers. The IRS matches this information against the taxpayers’ income tax and foreign disclosure reporting in the U.S. There is virtually no country now to shelter money from tax and reporting.

What are the next steps?

Whether the filing is for the U.S. citizen or permanent resident living in the U.S. or the Expat living abroad, the reporting of non-U.S. income and assets is complex and each taxpayer’s situation is unique. Compliance with U.S. tax laws for non-U.S. financial assets requires well-versed knowledgeable tax professionals. The International Tax Group at Kerkering, Barberio & Co. has been assisting taxpayers with offshore compliance filings for more than a decade. If you have questions on the reporting of non-U.S. income and financial assets, please contact Phoebe Trumpler at  or Danielle Logan at or call us at 941-365-4617.

About the Author

Phoebe Trumpler

Kerkering, Barberio & Co.
1990 Main Street, Suite 801
Sarasota, FL 34236
(941) 365-4617

Phoebe Trumpler, CPA, Shareholder, joined the firm in 2005. Her primary practice is in International Tax. Specifically, she specializes in consulting, tax planning and preparation of U.S. tax returns for U.S. citizens and tax residents who have international income and investments. She assists these individuals with offshore tax compliance issues related to Foreign Bank Account Reports (FBAR) and the Foreign Account Tax Compliance Act (FATCA).



Contact Us

location icon

Our Locations

Sarasota Office
1990 Main Street, Suite 801
Sarasota, FL 34236
Phone: 941.365.4617
Toll Free: 800.966.8676
Fax: 941.954.3207

Lakewood Ranch Office
9423 Town Center Parkway
Lakewood Ranch, FL 34202
Phone: 941.365.4617

Tampa Office
4350 West Cypress Street
Meridian One, Suite 930
Tampa, FL 33607
Phone: 813.675.8800

Lets Get Started.



leading edge alliance move project logo green business logo 2019 IPA 200
For Updates on COVID-19, click here.Learn More