Print Friendly, PDF & Email
| add this

Is Your Next Business Opportunity Outside the U.S.?

Posted on 09/16/19

Expanding a U.S. business internationally is complicated, and it has become even more so, under the Foreign Account Tax Compliance Act (FATCA) and the Tax Cuts and Job Act (TCJA). Whether you are considering your first business overseas or thinking about expanding an operation you already have, you need specialized knowledge to arrive at the best solution for your business.    

There are many questions that arise for business owners when it comes to doing business overseas:

  • What business model do you choose?
  • What types of business entities work well?
  • How will your business (and you) be taxed in the U.S.?
  • What if you send people to work overseas?
  • Or if you hire locally within the country?


The primary idea behind the TCJA changes was to tax all accumulated foreign profits in certain U.S. owned foreign corporations. There are three significant changes to understand here:

1. The U.S. corporate tax rate is now 21%. That puts the U.S. in a more competitive position somewhere in the mid-range relative to other countries’ corporate tax rates.

2. The deferral of U.S. taxation of foreign profits is virtually eliminated by TCJA. Although the legislation for this tax was passed in December 2017, the taxation of accumulated foreign profits was retroactive to January 1, 2017.

3. The introduction of FDII and GILTI. This is the carrot and stick approach in the TCJA legislation. The carrot is called FDII, Foreign Derived Intangible Income. This provides for a deduction which results in a lower U.S. effective tax rate on foreign source sales and services income for U.S. C-Corporations. The stick is called GILTI, Global Intangible Low-Taxed Income. This is an annual tax on the current year earnings in a foreign corporation.


Your business plan to expand overseas should start with your reasons for doing so. You should also consider the various U.S. business models, entity selection choice, and tax issues related to your choice. Consideration of other countries’ models, entity and taxation are equally important, but beyond the scope of this article. Your business plan should include planning opportunities to minimize U.S. taxation. For this be sure to hire U.S. tax and legal professionals who are well-versed in international tax and business, along with seeking counsel from tax and legal experts in the local country. Contact Phoebe Trumpler, CPA, Shareholder at The International Group of Kerkering, Barberio & Co to discuss planning opportunities.


For additional information on this topic or to discuss your international tax and financial planning needs, contact Phoebe Trumpler, CPA at (941) 365-4617 or .

About the Author

Phoebe Trumpler, CPA

Phoebe Trumpler, CPA joined Kerkering Barberio in 2005 and was admitted as a shareholder in 2016. Ms. Trumpler’s primary practice is in International Tax, providing consulting, tax planning, and preparation of U.S. tax returns for U.S. citizens and tax residents who have international income and investments. She assists individuals with offshore tax compliance issues related to Foreign Bank Account Reports (FBAR) and the Foreign Account Tax Compliance Act (FATCA) Ms. Trumpler also works with high net worth individuals who have only US income and accounts and assists them with tax planning and tax preparation needs. Phone: (941) 365-4617 Email: 

Contact Us

location icon

Our Locations

Sarasota Office
1990 Main Street, Suite 801
Sarasota, FL 34236
Phone: 941.365.4617
Toll Free: 800.966.8676
Fax: 941.954.3207

Lakewood Ranch Office
9423 Town Center Parkway
Lakewood Ranch, FL 34202
Phone: 941.365.4617

Tampa Office
4350 West Cypress Street
Meridian One, Suite 930
Tampa, FL 33607
Phone: 813.675.8800

Lets Get Started.



leading edge alliance move project logo green business logo 2019 IPA 200
For Updates on COVID-19, click here.Learn More