We receive documents in a variety of ways: paper, email, upload, text and in a variety of forms and formats: PDF, JPG, Word, Excel, etc. With Covid-19 and the reduction in face-to-face meetings, the amount of electronic communications has increased substantially.
To assure secure, accurate and timely receipt of this information, we strongly encourage the following:
- Send documents through our secure portals.
- We can send you a link to one of our secure portals or you can find the secure portal link on our website. This method is sufficient if you plan to send just a few documents.
- We can set up your own portal to use for document uploads. This method works best if you have many documents to send or make multiple uploads. Your portal is available at all times, all of your information is located in one folder, and provides easier access and tracking for you and us. We can also use it to share documents with you, such as a PDF of your tax return.
- Upload individual forms or group like form types together and provide a descriptive name. For example, W-2’s as individual files or multiple W-2’s together, multiple 1099-int forms together, etc. Avoid mixing different form types together in one large file.
- Keep multi-page documents in the proper page-number order and in one file.
- If you are uploading multiple documents over multiple days, please email us saying that you will be doing so and email us when you have finished the upload. It is more efficient and cost effective to have all of your documents uploaded before we begin downloading them and working on your return.
- Cybersecurity experts offer these l suggestions to assure secure, accurate and timely receipt of information flow:
- Do not email documents that have your personal information, like your Social Security number. Email is not a secure medium and identity theft is a major problem.
- Do not text documents. Texts are not secure and the quality of the document is usually poor and hard to read.
- Do not send pictures of documents. The quality of the document is usually poor and hard to read. Instead scan and upload documents, request an electronic copy either from the payer or send the actual paper document.